Food, Dining, & Drinks in Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan is in a fairly arid location so doesn't have a lot of fruit and vegetable options. Historically, this has led to a diet consisting of breads, soups, and meat or fish products. Although much of the country is arid, there are locations that have produced some great seasonal foods and herbs, which were also integrated into the local diet.
Fortunately, the country was located on the ancient Silk Road so received a lot of spices and dry ingredients through trade with people from Europe, the Far East, and even from their nearby neighbor, the Persians. This led to the popularity of rice and a large number of new spices added to their already wide availability of herbs.
Today, their most popular dishes are a result of their traditional ingredients and their spices; heavily spiced meat and a spiced rice and meat dish called pilof are now commonly consumed.
Your Guide to Azerbaijan:
● Azerbaijan Page
● Culture & Identity
- Food, Dining, & Drinks
- Ethnicity, Language, & Religion
- Social Life
● Geography, Weather, & Wildlife
Bread: served with most meals, typically round loaves or lavash (flat bread)
Regional Variations & Specialties
Caviar: fish eggs, the world's best comes from the nearby Caspian Sea, but much of it is exported
Dolma: ground (minced) lamb and rice wrapped with grape leaves and cooked
Kebabs: served alone or with minimal sides, spiced meat meant to be the star of the dish; there are dozens of varieties based on the seasonings used; the lula kebab is perhaps the most famous
As a Muslim country, Azerbaijanis are fairly conservative (although they are very liberal on Muslim standards) so before meeting any locals, make sure your dress is appropriate; this means conservatively dressed with long pants and preferably long sleeves. Even more liberal Azeris tend to dress in more conservative clothing, although few expect foreigners to do the same.
Bring your local hosts a gift of pastries from a local bakery and expect your host to turn down the gift. This is common, but upon insistence your gift will be expected; if you are offered a gift, do the same and only accept after you host insists you take it. Expect your host to ask you to remove your shoes before entering their house and once inside make an effort to greet every person individually.
As the food is served, expect the host to serve the elders first and you, as a guest only second. Keep your hands within sight while dining and only begin after being told to do so or after you host signals the start of the meal. Enjoy your meal, but only use your right hand to eat.
Tipping in Azerbaijan is only common in Baku at nice restaurants; about 10% for sit down restaurants is common.
Black tea is central to Azerbaijani culture and is probably the most widely drunk beverage in Azerbaijan. Two other common and fairly unique drinks are kvass, which is a fermented, but non-alcohol drink and sherbet, which is a naturally flavored drink, most commonly consisting of lemon, pomegranate, or other locally available flavors. Of course coffee, juices, soft drinks, and milk are also available.
As a primarily Muslim country, alcohol is not especially common, but Azerbaijan is fairly liberal so beer, vodka, and other drinks are available. Most of these beverages are imports as Azerbaijan produces few alcoholic beverages domestically.
The tap water in Azerbaijan is generally not safe to drink so it should be avoided.
- An old friend in Azerbaijan is missing you on Friendship day
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- New Year - New Everything
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Join us if you dare for a halloween scare
- Turkey & Azerbaijan - Where the continents collide
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- 20% off for making eVisa! Let's energize yourself now!
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Best Souvenirs To Buy In Baku
- Make eVisa for less in Flower Season
- Azerbaijan changes e-Visa issuance procedure
- Special Offer on Women’s Day!
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- Highlights of Azerbaijan Nature
- 15 Best Places to Visit in Azerbaijan
- 10 reasons to visit Azerbaijan